Terms of Reference
The Terms of Reference for the Inquiry were announced by Premier Annastacia Palaszczuk on 27 October 2016 and comprised two components.
- Investigate the circumstances leading up to and associated with the current disruptions to the Citytrain timetable, including:
- the adequacy of Queensland Rail scheduling, rostering, training crewing, recruitment and training practices, including arrangements put in place to support the new timetable that commenced 4 October 2016
- what circumstances led to any inadequacies in part (a)
- when deficits in train crew availability were known about and what action was taken ahead of the commissioning of the Redcliffe Peninsula line to address these issues
- the nature and suitability of actions taken by Queensland Rail once the train crewing issues manifested under the new timetable.
- Assess and report on the implementation of the five point plan to restore timetabled services and public confidence in Queensland Rail timetabling, including:
- progress with the recruitment and training of the additional 200 drivers (100 approved in November 2015, and 100 announced on 24 October 2016) and 200 additional guards (100 approved in November 2015, and 100 announced on 24 October 2016)
- future demand and supply requirements for train crew, including for the crewing of New Generation Rollingstock
- ensuring the suitability of current and proposed Queensland Rail recruitment practices to address the issues regarding the demand and supply requirements for train crew
- the development and delivery of the interim timetable
- the suitability of arrangements and timeframes to transition from the interim timetable to the full timetable.